14th Meeting of the Working Group on Biodiversity
22-24 May 2023, Vsetin, Czech Republic
The last Meeting of the WG Biodiversity was organized on 22-24 May 2023 in Vsetín, the Czech Republic at the Hotel Smetanova.
As per the agenda, the meeting will start in the late afternoon on 22 May 2023 with the official opening and the celebration of the International Day for Biological Diversity & 20 years since the signature and the adoption of the Carpathian Convention, which are both observed on 22 May. We will be very pleased to celebrate this special moment in the history of the Convention with you!
The second day of the meeting includes a rich programme allowing for discussion on:
- GBF implementation in the Carpathian region and related development of the Carpathian Biodiversity Framework,
- Implementation of the Action Plan on large carnivores conservation and ecological connectivity though projects (SaveGREEN, LECA and NaturaConnect projects),
- Cooperation with other organizations and bodies, including support to Ukraine in the framework of the Carpathian Convention,
- Institutional aspects, including the review of the progress in implementation of the WG Biodiversity Work Plan 2021 – 2023, preparation for the Carpathian Convention COP7.
The last day of the meeting on 23 May will include a short working session followed up with a field trip, ending around 13:00.
- Carpathian Biodiversity Framework – introduction, Harald Egerer, UNEP Vienna Programme Office – Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention.
- Role and contribution of the Carpathian Convention into the post-2020 process/ Memorandum of Cooperation between CBD, Alpine and the Carpathian Conventions in light of the post-2020 GBF, Harald Egerer, UNEP Vienna Programme Office – Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention.
- SaveGREEN – Safeguarding the functionality of transnationally important ecological corridors in the Danube region, Hildegard Meyer, WWF-Central and Eastern Europe.
- LECA – project overview. Supporting the coexistence and conservation of Carpathian Large Carnivores, Martin Duľa, project coordinator Mendel University in Brno.
- The EU Platform on Coexistence between people and large carnivores (presentation 1, presentation 2), Katrina Marsden, EU Platform Secretariat, Adelphi.
- Large Carnivores, Wild Ungulates and Society Working Group (WISO) of the Alpine Convention, Rok Černe, Slovenia Forest Service.
- Long-term conservation of the Carpathian lynx in West-Central Europe, Urs Breitenmoser & Christine Breitenmoser-Würsten, IUCN/SSC Cat Specialist Group (online).
- Designing a resilient and coherent Trans-European conservation network for nature and people, Piero Visconti, Project Coordinator IIASA International Institute for Applied System Analysis.
- Carpathian Wetland Initiative updates on activities 2022/2023, Ján Kadlečík, CWI coordinator State Nature Conservancy of the Slovak Republic.
- Science for the Carpathians: Report on activities and recommendations relevant for WG Biodiversity, Lubos Halada, Institute of Landscape Ecology, SAS.
- Alpine Biodiversity Board Mandate, objectives and Outcomes 2023-2024, Paolo Angelini, Head of Italian Delegation and Chair of the Alpine Biodiversity Board.
- Carpathian Research Network: presentation of the consortium & the 3rd interdisciplinary Symposium Biogeography of the Carpathians, Patrik Mráz, Charles University.
- Carpathian Convention Ministerial Conference – support to Ukraine, Harald Egerer, UNEP Vienna Programme Office – Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention.
- Build Back Better for Ukraine, Iaroslav Teleshun, WWF Ukraine.