9th Meeting of the Working Group on Sustainable Forest Management
16 May 2023, ONLINE MEETING
9th Meeting of the Carpathian Convention Working Group on Sustainable Forest Management (WG Forest) will be held online on 16 May 2023. Please save the date in your busy schedules!
The meeting will focus on the implementation of the WG Forest Work Plan 2023-2026, more specifically on:
- Finalization of the inventory of virgin forests, the results of which will be sent to the CCIC for consideration and submission to the COP7.
- Discussion on the definition and criteria of the natural forests in the Carpathians, the results of which will be sent to the CCIC for consideration.
- Update and presentation of the draft Assessment of the impacts of climate change on the Carpathian forests and their ecosystem services, with the view to present the finalized Assessment at the COP7.
- Support to Ukraine in the framework of the Carpathian Convention.
Please see the meeting report of the 8th WG Forest meeting that was held in October 2022 in Levice, Slovakia, and attached the WG Forest Work Plan 2023 – 2026 implementing the Forest Protocol and its Strategic Action Plan, that was agreed based on the meeting discussions.
Further to the agreed next steps (see the meeting report) on the extension of the Inventory of the virgin forest in the Carpathian to other degrees of naturalness, particularly natural forests, the Secretariat, in consultations with Slovakia – Chair of the WG Forest, prepared a background document for discussion at the upcoming meeting on definitions and criteria on natural forests in the Carpathians.
Bearing in mind that climate change is one of the priority topic for the WG Forest, as well that the Carpathian Convention COP6 encouraged strengthening cooperation between WG Forest and WG Climate Change, for facilitating the implementation of Article 14 of the Forest Protocol and developing the Assessment of the impacts of climate change on the Carpathian forests and their ecosystem services, the Members and Observers of the WG Climate Change are warmly welcome to join the online meeting.
- Towards a future coherent Trans – European Nature Network (TEN-N) – presentaation by Hildegard Meyer, WWF-CEE
- The EU4Environment Water & Data Project Land Monitoring in Ukraine – presentation by Isabella Greimeister-Pfeil, Umweltbundesamt
- Definition and Criteria on Forests
- The inventory of the Carpathian Virgin forests – presentation by Annemarie Bastrup Birk, European Environment Agency
- DRAFT Assessment of Climate Change Risks and Impacts on Carpathian Forest Ecosystems and their services – presentation by Sabine McCallum, Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention
- Carpathian Biodiversity Framework – introduction – presentation by Klaudia Kuras, , Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention
- Carpathian Convention Ministerial Conference – support to Ukraine – presentation by Klaudia Kuras, , Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention
- Sustainable Forest Management FAO planned activities in the Carpathian region of Ukraine – presentation by Alberto Del Lungo, FAO Country Office Ukraine
- Forest Europe – supporting the recovery and sustainable management of Ukrainian forests and its forests sector
- The Carpathian Forests report, November 2022 – presentation by Robert Cyglicki, Co-author of the report Greenpeace Programme Director in CEE
- ForestConnect: Towards a Climate-smart Forest Connectivity for Large Carnivores in the Balkan-Carpathian Region